Last updated: May 18, 2018
We take your privacy very seriously. This policy describes how we use the information you provide when you use Understood.org. By using Understood.org, you consent to the collection and use of your information as described below.
Understood.org is not intended to be used by children under age 13. If you are under age 13, please do not use Understood.org or provide us with any information.
Understood.org currently does not market to or offer services to individuals in the European Union (EU).
Understood respects your privacy. We are committed to protecting your and your child’s information. Except as we describe below, we will not share it with other parties. We will not sell or lease your personal information.
How We Collect Your Information
- When you create an account on Understood.org, you will be asked to provide us with certain personal information. For example, we will need your name and email address. Accounts are optional. You can use nearly all of Understood.org without having an account.
- Some areas or features on Understood.org may ask you for additional information about you or your child. This helps us personalize Understood.org just for you. You do not need to provide us with this information. However, some features of Understood.org may not be available to you if you decide not to provide the information.
- We may also collect your information if:
- you sign up for newsletters;
- you sign up for personalized information that we may deliver via emails;
- you participate in any surveys we offer as part of our services on Understood.org; or
- you choose to provide information in any public area of Understood.org (for example, if you post a question in a public portion of Understood.org, others will be able to see it).
Your participation in these features is optional.
- Understood.org also uses Google Analytics to help Understood.org collect and process data. To see how Google uses this data, go to www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. (If you want to disable this function on your computer, you can change your browser setting to disallow cookies.)
How We Use Your Information
- We generally use the information we collect to provide you with the information and services you request. We may also use your information to offer you free additional materials or services (either from us or from others) that may interest you. For example, we might let you know about events in your area.
- We will never try to sell you anything. Understood.org is a free resource for parents. It was created in collaboration with 15 founding nonprofit organizations. Understood.org is not affiliated with any pharmaceutical company.
We will not disclose your or your child’s information to any third party except under the following circumstances:
- We are required to do so by law;
- We believe the disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of users, the public, or Understood.org;
- We need to disclose so a third party can help us provide our services (for example if we use a vendor to help us manage Understood.org), but we make sure those parties have strict confidentiality practices;
- We are responding to your requests or questions; or
- You have agreed for us to share the information.
If you choose to use Understood.org, you understand that:
- All information you provide is voluntary. That includes:
- information you give through surveys, forms, or other features; and
- information you post in public areas of the site (comments on articles, questions asked to other parents, etc.).
- If you post information in public areas, we cannot control how others may use it. For example, a third party might copy something you post and use it on another website not related to Understood.org. Or a third party might use the information you posted to contact you. We urge you to use screen names, not real names.
- You may update or delete your information by editing your profile and account settings on Understood.org.
- You can always request that we close your Understood account. Provide us with that request in writing at PrivacyOfficer@Understood.org. Or write to us at 32 Laight Street, Floor 1, New York, NY 10013.
- If you no longer want to receive emails or other communications from Understood, use the “unsubscribe” link on our emails or manage your preferences on Understood.org.
Last updated: May 18, 2018
We take your privacy very seriously. This policy describes how we use the information that you provide when using our website, Understood.org. By using Understood.org, you agree to and consent to the collection and use of your information as described below.
Information We Collect
We may collect some non-identifying information from you. This includes information that tracks the device you use to access Understood.org (but this is not information that could be used to identify you or contact you).
To access certain features of Understood.org, you may be required to set up an account and provide us with certain information about yourself such as a first name (you can use your real name or make one up) and an email address. You may also have the option to provide your zip code so, for example, we can notify you of events in your region. You will also be required to create your own password to access your account. Accounts are optional. You can use nearly all of Understood.org without having an account.
We may also, from time to time, request additional types of personal information. We might ask your child’s grade, gender, or what issues he or she is struggling with. It’s up to you whether you provide this information. We will not disclose any of this personal information unless you expressly authorize us to do so. We do not sell, lease, or share your or your child’s personal information with other parties.
If you have created an account, you may be able to voluntarily provide additional information in various areas of Understood.org. For example, you may want to provide additional information as part of an optional parent profile to enhance your experience of Understood.org and its features. In your profile, you may include information such as your child’s nickname (which must be created specifically for Understood.org and should not identify your child to us or others), your child’s grade, and the issue(s) your child is struggling with. We may use this information to personalize Understood.org and its features just for you.
If you wish to access the Understood.org community features, you will be required to create a screen name. We suggest you create a screen name that does not include your name or other identifying information. If you post information in public areas, we cannot control how others may use that information. For example, a third party might copy something you post and use it on another website. Or a third party might use the information you posted to contact you. We urge you to use screen names, not real names.
Understood.org may also offer you the opportunity to create a full profile. If you decide to create this full profile, we will ask you to identify your child’s specific issue(s)/diagnosis. We’ll ask whether your child has an IEP or a 504 plan. Whether you provide this information is your choice. You may also provide information about your own interests as a parent with respect to information and support available on Understood.org. We will not disclose the information you provide to us in creating your full profile. We may use it to enhance your experience on Understood.org and to improve the information and services available to you on and through Understood.org.
We may also collect your information if you sign up for newsletters or for customized information that we may deliver via emails, if you participate in any surveys we offer as part of our services on Understood.org, or if you post information in a public area (for example you post a question in a public portion of Understood.org).
Understood.org is a U.S.-based site and currently does not market to or offer services to individuals in the European Union (EU).
If you are located or reside within the EU, please do not sign up for emails, create an account, or provide Understood.org with any personal information.
In the future, we hope to offer services in the EU. We are working on a plan to comply with the EU’s data privacy laws, including GDPR.
Understood.org is designed for and intended for use by parents (or guardians) of children who have known or suspected learning and attention issues. It is not designed for or intended for use by children.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under age 13. In fact, we do not offer Understood.org to anyone under age 13. If you are under 13, please do not create an account, use Understood.org, or provide Understood.org with any personal information.
Below you’ll find FAQs that describe our most common uses of cookies, which are an inherent part of our production process and enable us to better serve you.
- What’s a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is sent to your computer by a site’s server. A cookie can be a record of your visit to a site, including information such as your screen name, registration information, time of last visit, pages viewed, etc. A cookie created by one site’s servers can be retrieved only by that site’s servers. Thus, information gathered in cookies through Understood.org is not accessible to other sites.
- What if I don’t accept cookies?
If you set your browser to “not accept” any cookies, you will not be able to take full advantage of certain future features that Understood.org may offer to enhance individual user experiences. We also do not suggest that you navigate our site with your browser’s “cookie alert” feature enabled. While you certainly could set your browser to alert you each time a cookie is passed to your machine, you most likely will find the experience of having to respond to frequent cookie alerts quite frustrating. We suggest that you turn the “cookie alert” feature off, or perhaps use the site for a short time with it on, once you’ve seen firsthand how we use the technology and become more familiarized and comfortable with it.
Next, we may check our database to verify your registration or other criteria so that you may gain access. A cookie is then temporarily “set” within your browser to allow you to proceed without having to confirm your identity with each subsequent page you request to view or otherwise access.
If you do not want us to track your usage and interest, you can change the cookies setting on your browser. If you do so, your experience of the site may no longer be as personalized or customized.
- So what’s in it for me?
You’ll get faster, more convenient access. We won’t have to ask you to identify yourself with each new page requested. We can also deliver customized information to you and store your settings more efficiently. And you’ll get better information. We want to give you the features and materials you’re interested in.
- Will the cookies you send me go away?
Some of our cookies are long term. If they weren’t, we’d need to ask you for certain information, such as your screen name, with each new session. Other cookies do expire after a short period of time. A cookie, such as those required to retain settings you elect (screen name, password, personalization preferences, etc.) will continue to reside on your hard drive for subsequent use by your browser. Remember, cookies are small files and don’t take up significant disk-space on your computer.
You are, of course, free to clear any and all cookies from your hard drive any time you wish. Simply search your system for any files named cookie*.* (or similar) and delete these at your discretion. Remember, however, that deleting these cookies means any long-term settings (such as your stored screen name and password) will need to be reset.
To remove the cookies issued by Understood.org—or any other cookies, for that matter—you may use certain software/shareware utilities (many of which are free).
Once again, there are also a number of software and shareware programs available which are designed to periodically purge cookie files from your hard disk. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT RECOMMENDING ANY OF THESE APPLICATIONS AND WE CANNOT ADDRESS ANY RESULTING SUPPORT ISSUES THAT MAY BE RELATED TO THE USE OF THESE PROGRAMS.
Understood.org also uses Google Analytics to help Understood.org collect and process data. To see how Google uses this data, go to www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
How We Use and Secure Your Information
Uses and Disclosures
When you provide information, we typically use it to customize your experience and to provide you access to Understood.org and services. We can offer free additional materials or services that may be of particular interest to you. And we can improve the design and performance of Understood.org.
We may use the information you provide to send you notices that contain information about events, content, materials and services provided by Understood and other third-party organizations. When we do this, we do not disclose your information to these third-party organizations. Unless you consent, we will not use the information provided by you in a way that is incompatible with the purposes for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. We will never try to sell you anything.
Understood.org is a free resource for parents created in collaboration with 15 founding nonprofit organizations. One of the nonprofit organizations helping provide Understood.org and you with information on Understood.org is the National Center for Learning Disabilities, which operates and manages Understood.org in collaboration with the other 14 founding nonprofit organizations. Understood.org is not affiliated with any pharmaceutical company.
Security and Storage
Opting Out of Communications From Understood
By providing your email address while signing up for Understood.org, you automatically grant permission to Understood.org to send communications to you, unless you opt out at that time. You may also manage your preferences and opt out of receiving email communications by clicking “unsubscribe” from an email sent to you by Understood.org or by signing into Understood online and managing your preferences.
Your Opt-In Consent
Opting to Disclose Your Information to Others
If you choose to participate in other features of Understood.org that allow you to interact directly with medical, health, education, and legal consultants or other Understood.org users, you may choose to provide certain identifiable or even sensitive information to those consultants or other users. Unless you consent, we will not use the information provided by you in a way that is incompatible with the purposes for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you.
Opting to Disclose Your Information in Public Areas
If you mistakenly post information in a public area of Understood.org and would like to remove it, you can send an email to PrivacyOfficer@Understood.Org. We will try to remove it, although in some cases we may not be able to.
Please keep in mind that any information you disclose in public areas of Understood.org may become widespread. You should exercise caution when deciding the type and amount of information you want to disclose.
Accessing Third-Party Sites from Understood.org
Understood.org may provide links to websites of other organizations or companies that may offer materials and services as well as links to other sites.
In using Understood.org or the linked sites of other organizations or companies, you may have the option to sign up for email lists operated by these organizations or companies. If you choose to request that your address be removed from the organizations’ or companies’ lists, we cannot control whether or not they will immediately stop using your address. To stop receiving communications from these organizations or companies, you should contact them directly.
When you directly submit information to third parties, their privacy policies, not ours, will govern their use of the information and data. You should review their privacy policies and terms of service. We do not make any representations regarding the policies or practices of these third parties.
Correcting/Updating Personally Identifiable Information
Understood is committed to protecting your privacy and to protecting your information. If you have any complaints regarding these issues or how we process that information, or any other security-related issues regarding Understood.org, we urge you to contact us. Email us at PrivacyOfficer@Understood.org, call us at 646-757-3135, or write to us at 32 Laight Street, Floor 1, New York, NY 10013.